Every organization struggles to identify and turn new opportunities into growth and improved operating results. Increased competition, customer service, margin squeezes, capacity and CAPEX decisions, supply chain efficiencies, new product introductions, and cost controls are an everyday challenge. This economy demands that organizations learn how to optimize these factors, and scale growth and success without scaling the associated costs and overhead at the same rate.
What Do You Do? How Do You Get Started? Where Do You Begin?
Generally, organizations respond in one of two ways:
- Typical Reasoning. This is a response of addressing all the issues, details, risks, costs, and ROIs. Next, leadership establishes goals and objectives, performance targets, teams, and tasks/plans for proceeding down the most efficient road to success. Typical Reasoning is a more deterministic project approach to change.
- This response is an inside-out view of change is often underestimated and oversimplified, and the approach is severely limited by the organization’s true capabilities, skills, time, and capacity to execute.
- The front end is high energy and great intentions followed by cycles of frustrating and futile attempts to jump beyond current conditions.
- The people and cultural elements of change are often compromised or not addressed at all.
The organization has high confidence that they know how to proceed successfully. Most of the time there are early successes. Daily short term distractions and lack of focus often cause these initiatives to slowly decompose and fail to meet the intended objectives.
2. Affordable Exploration Reasoning. This is a more first responder approach where the urgency and commitment to begin far outweighs the above Typical Reasoning approach to major change. Executives understand that larger scale transformation and improvement initiatives are a continuous journey with many unknowns, inevitable changes, and perceived risks ahead.
- The approach is non-deterministic, innovative, open-ended, and evolutionary – Yet with many very structured, disciplined, and deliberate smaller steps.
- There is a continuous focus on markets, competition, and customer preferences. The unwavering mission is to evolve operational infrastructure to capitalize on new and emerging opportunities.
- The organization has a genuine interest in nurturing the human, talent development, and cultural fundamentals of sustainable change.
This approach is outside-in, like conquering a complex puzzle by beginning at the outside edges and working your way inward toward the center. The organization recognizes complexity and that they don’t know what they don’t know. They proactively manage all the risks, acquire new knowledge and guidance, continuously learn and build upon successes, and achieve a higher and more sustainable degree of performance.
The latter outside-in approach is the most effective way to approach transformation-scale change, whether you do this on your own or engage outside expertise to put the journey on a speedy and focused course.
Solution: The Operational Transformation Diagnostic
We walk into many organizations that have a great business strategy, commercial strategy, and financial plans . . . But are unable to execute at the operational level. In other words, they are missing the robust operational infrastructure to realize their strategies and financial plans. Furthermore, they are behind on emerging technology integration and lack a clear vision, plan, and road map to make this a strategic capability and a competitive advantage. Organizations that lack this capability of adapting, flexing, and responding to the inevitable disruptions and changes can fall behind fast in this economy.
Some of the key areas to think about include the following:
- Operations Strategy, Alignment, and Rationalization
- Manufacturing, Warehousing and Distribution, and Supplier Management
- Time-To-Market and New Product Introduction
- Supply Chain Optimization and Cost Controls
- Order Fulfillment-To-Cash, E-Commerce Innovations
- Strategic Sourcing, Integration, and Visibility
- Capacity and CAPEX Planning
- Digitization, Analytics, Real Time Performance
- Enterprise-Wide Operational Perfection
- No Doubt Execution
- Asset and Cash Management
- Talent and Human Capital Management
- Executive and Organizational Readiness
CEO offers clients our Operational Transformation Diagnostic, a quick assessment of operational capabilities, needs, and improvement opportunities. The assessment includes both immediate improvement opportunities and a step-by-step vision of how to reinvent and align enterprise-wide operations. Organizations can benefit significantly from identifying and leveraging the most critical factors for improving operational infrastructure quickly and logically. The results of the diagnostic provide a collaborative outside-in strategy, plan, priorities, and quantified benefits for moving forward quickly toward achieving breakthroughs in operating performance.
CEO has a solid reputation for practical, experience-based, predictable, reliable, executable results, not reports. We have a long and successful track record of helping clients through the details of Execution – Implementing change, realizing the benefits, and sustaining the gains. Your success is our success!
We Strive For “No Doubt” Operations
The objective of CEO’s Operational Transformation Diagnostic is to align and improve operational infrastructure, and guide clients toward a “No Doubt “operating model. The operating side of the business must be able to respond to marketing, competitive, customer, or internal changes – With “no doubt” that their actions will achieve successful outcomes. Organizations that learn how to develop their own “No Doubt” operating model eliminate the gaps between business strategy, commercial strategy, financial plans, and operational execution – And emerge as the leaders and superior performers in their markets.
So Let’s Talk . . . It’s free, no obligations, no sales pitches.
All organizations are constantly bombarded with new risks, opportunities, fears, and challenges. If left unchecked, these can take root in the form of significant waste, cost, poor operating performance, unhappy customers, and lost competitive position. There are many larger branded consulting firms, and unlimited technology options for assistance with their formulation-based approaches to change. Recognize that there is also a severe shortage of experienced, practitioner-guided professionals who understand how to adapt, execute, and achieve breakthrough success with change. In this economy you can’t afford to be wrong, too late, or inefficient. If you don’t overcome your limitations, you will be overcome by stronger competitors.
We are passionately engaged in this business every day, helping clients in a variety of different industries with a spectrum of operating issues to identify and adapt new solutions to these challenges. There is nothing to be lost and everything to gain by discussing your own operating challenges and issues with us. Let’s turn this post into a live discussion. Give us the opportunity to become your friend and trusted professional advisors.
Fill in the instant messenger box with your contact information, call us directly at the number on the top of this page, or email me directly. We will be happy to discuss how we can guide your organization on a swift and successful course of action.