Terence T. Burton is founder, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Center for Excellence in Operations, Inc. (CEO). Terry has nearly four decades of diversified experience in executive leadership, operations, supply chain management, quality, engineering and new product development, distribution and logistics, maintenance and repair, customer service, finance, sales and marketing, and recently healthcare and not-for profits. Since founding CEO in 1991, Terry has become an internationally recognized expert on strategic business improvement as an adaptive innovator and “hands-on” practitioner, with a solid reputation for delivering results. He has worked on thousands of major improvement initiatives with over 350 clients in 23 different countries ranging from large multinational Fortune 500 corporations to small and mid-sized manufacturing, retail, service, private equity, and healthcare organizations. Terry is best known for his passionate and energetic leadership savvy in mentoring executives and their organizations through complex challenges to breakthrough levels of superior industry performance. Terry also has a strong record of helping organizations to internalize improvement as a cultural standard of excellence.
Terry’s extensive and diverse experience includes the following areas:
- Implementation of Kaizen, Lean Six Sigma, Operational Excellence, Business Reengineering, and other formal continuous improvement (CI) initiatives including improvement strategy, deployment planning, education and certification, and implementation of successful improvements in operating performance. Terry also has significant expertise in integrating continuous improvement and technology architectures such as the entire SAP, Oracle, IBM, and Microsoft suite of applications, and the global enterprise network of professional, knowledge-based transactional business processes. He and his organization have led hundreds of major Lean, Six Sigma, and other strategic improvement deployments, and developed and certified thousands of personnel as Lean Six Sigma Black Belts, Green Belts, Yellow Belts, Lean Champions, Kaizen Leaders, and other specialized certification status offerings for clients.
- Single site and multi-plant global Lean Enterprise, Toyota Production System (TPS), and Kaizen improvements. Clients have included variety of highly diversified industries and complex environments (e.g., high technology, clean room operations, microelectronic assembly, mixed model country assembly, low volume/high mix production, aerospace and defense, automotive, off-road equipment, medical, pharmaceutical, metal fabrication, process industry, R&D laboratories, customer service, repair depots, call centers, capital equipment, refurbishment/repair depots, etc.). Every engagement has been tailored and standardized to the client’s specific operating environment and challenges.
- Global Supply and Demand Chain Management Improvement Initiatives including global supply chain rationalization, sales and operations planning (S&OP), order fulfillment, global sourcing and selection, make vs. buy decisions, outsourcing improvement, supplier and contractor management, inventory performance, distributor value-added services, distribution and logistics models, warehouse operations improvement, repair and spares management, consigned shipping and in-plant stores, e-kanbans and auto-replenishment, point-of-use (POU) practices, 3PL collaboration, synchronization of planning and execution processes, total spend management and total cost of ownership.
- New Product Development, Software Development and Integration including SDLC, and Design for Lean Six Sigma (DFLSS) programs in R&D and innovation, new technology development, concept engineering and idea generation, platform and portfolio management, DFSS statistical tools, structured stage/gate process design, resource and pipeline management, life cycle cost management and return-on-development, project and program management, new product sourcing and procurement, pilot manufacturing, test and validation strategy and improvement, spare parts and field service planning, commercialization, and cross-functional development teams.
- Technology-Enabled Improvement. This includes the opportunity-rich global network of professional, knowledge-based transactional business processes (i.e., sales and marketing, order fulfillment, service delivery, warranty and returns, finance, advertising and promotions, global supply chain planning and logistics, excess/obsolete inventory, sales and operations planning (S&OP), premium freight, outsourcing improvement, acquisition and integration, overhead and support processes, plant and facilities management, financial management and cash-to-cash, human resource management, customer service, and IT integration and effectiveness. We have a twenty year relationship with SAP, helping clients integrate business process improvement and IT and optimizing their IT investments.
- Private Equity Support including due diligence operations analysis, tactical integration and consolidation support, operations diagnostics and forensics, post-acquisition business turnarounds, targeted strategic improvement initiatives, major company-wide improvement initiatives, an interim leadership and executive evaluations.
Prior to founding CEO, Terry held several senior management positions at Wang Laboratories, Polaroid, and ARCO Metals (now BP), and practice leadership roles with two other international consulting firms – KPMG Peat Marwick and Pittiglio, Rabin, Todd, & McGrath (PRTM). Terry holds a B.S. and M.S. in Industrial Engineering from the University of New Haven, and an MBA from Boston University. Terry is a certified Lean Six Sigma Black Belt and has been active on a local and national level with professional societies such as the Association for Operations Management (APICS), the Association for Manufacturing Excellence (AME), the American Society for Quality (ASQ), the Institute for Supply Management (ISM), the Turnaround Management Association (TMA), and hospital group purchasing and supply networks.
Terry is a frequent keynote speaker at international conferences, and has presented dozens of webinars on leading edge continuous improvement topics. Terry has also written hundreds of articles and white papers for various industry associations, trade publications, and websites. He is a recognized author of nine books about strategic and operations improvement, his latest being Global Kata: Success Through the Lean Business System Reference Model which was released in September, 2015.